Current Job Openings:
Crag Law Center is seeking a motivated team player for a staff attorney position with an anticipated start date in May 2019. The position is designed for an attorney with at least five years of litigation experience. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience with public interest environmental and land use litigation in Washington or Oregon and who have demonstrated a commitment to environmental justice.
Crag is a client-focused, non-profit law center that has been bringing cutting edge public interest litigation to protect the environment and public health in the Pacific Northwest for 17 years. We represent clients from the North Slope of Alaska to Northern California with the majority of our work in our home state of Oregon. Our core program areas include protecting public lands and wildlife, responding to climate change and fossil fuel infrastructure proposals in the Pacific Northwest, and working for livable communities through land use and environmental justice issues. Our clients include national, regional, and local conservation organizations, Tribes and Alaska Natives, fishermen, family farmers, recreation groups and other organizations and individuals working for a healthy environment.
The Staff Attorney will join our litigation team to represent clients in federal environmental litigation and state land use matters. There will be opportunities to develop a unique docket responsive to our clients’ wide variety of interests and goals, and to work collaboratively with other attorneys on complex litigation. The Staff Attorney will work directly with clients from the first stages of advocacy through the appeals process. The Attorney will also participate with all staff on fundraising, events, outreach and communications, and will work with volunteers on a periodic basis.
Crag maintains a fun, collegial and hard-working environment at our new sustainable office in inner Portland. Our employees enjoy all the amenities that make Portland a wonderful place to live and play, including great local food and art, and access to the coast, the Cascades and Columbia Gorge. We are committed to doing work of exceptional quality, and we have a great time doing it.
Crag highly values diversity, and seeks candidates that will contribute to the creation of an equitable, diverse, and inclusive office culture.We strongly encourage applications from people who will contribute to a staff diverse in race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, physical ability and socioeconomic background.
- Represent clients in federal environmental matters including administrative processes and in federal court;
- Represent clients in proceedings before local decision-makers, the Oregon Land Use Board of Appeals and/or Washington administrative review boards, and state courts on public interest land use issues;
- Educate and support community members in commenting on proposed projects, developing administrative records, and practicing before local tribunals;
- Develop new litigation on behalf of new or existing clients;
- Supervise and mentor volunteers and interns on a periodic basis;
- Prepare communications, including web content, press releases, newsletter articles, and mailings related to program work; and
- Assist development staff in planning and executing fundraising, events, and grants for the organization.
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest advocacy and environmental justice;
- Five years or more of litigation experience, with land use and/or federal environmental litigation preferred;
- Excellent writing, communication, research and oral advocacy skills;
- Strong work ethic, attention to detail and time management skills,demonstrated ability to meet deadlines;
- Comfortable working and communicating with diverse communities;
- Interested in training and mentoring newer attorneys and advocates;
- Understanding of and commitment to advancing equity, diversity and inclusion;
- Admission to the Oregon State Bar within 6 months of start.
Compensation and Benefits:
Crag offers a competitive and non-hierarchical salary and benefits package. The Staff Attorney will be compensated commensurate with their experience and with the other members of our team, with starting annual salary between $55,000 and $60,000. Benefits include full platinum medical, dental and vision coverage, life insurance, 403(b) retirement program with an employer match, four weeks of paid vacation per year, and opportunity for paid sabbatical. Some relocation expenses may be available.
Crag is an equal opportunity employer.
How to apply:
Applications should be submitted electronically to: courtney[at]crag.org as a single PDF document containing a cover letter, resume, short writing sample (8 pages or less), and three references. Please include “STAFF ATTORNEY APPLICATION” in the subject line of the email.
Please do not call to ask questions about the position. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We will begin reviewing applications on January 7, 2019.