Current Job Openings:
Legal Fellowship Position
Crag Law Center seeks a motivated team player for a full-time legal fellow to join us in providing legal aid for the environment. This is a two-year position in our Portland, Oregon office, starting in September 2021. The position is designed for a recent graduate or newer attorney with 0 to 1 years of litigation experience. Preference will be given to candidates who have demonstrated a commitment to public interest environmental litigation and environmental justice.
The Legal Fellow will work with our team of attorneys providing advice, advocacy and representation for our clients on a wide variety of legal issues. The Legal Fellow will work directly with clients from the first stages of advocacy through the appeals process. The Fellow will also participate with all staff in fundraising events, outreach and communications as needed.
Crag maintains a supportive environment at our office in inner Portland. Our employees enjoy all the amenities that make Portland a wonderful place to live and play, including great local food and art, and access to the coast, the Cascades and Columbia Gorge. We are committed to doing work of exceptional quality, and we have a great time doing it.
Crag is an equal opportunity employer and deeply values diversity in the workplace. We strongly encourage applications from people who will contribute to a staff diverse in race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, physical ability and socioeconomic background.
- Represent clients in proceedings before local decision-makers, state and federal agencies and courts;
- Support community members in commenting on proposed projects, developing administrative records, and participating in local hearings;
- Work with other staff attorneys to develop new litigation;
- Develop relationships with community members and organizational clients;
- Prepare communications, including web content, press releases and newsletter articles;
- Assist development staff in planning and executing fundraising events for the organization as needed.
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest advocacy and environmental justice;
- Prior internship in local land use, environmental litigation or environmental justice advocacy, or judicial clerkship;
- Excellent writing, communication, and research skills;
- Comfortable working and communicating with diverse communities;
- Motivated self-starter with excellent attention to detail and time management skills;
- Ready to work in a collaborative team environment, with an emphasis on learning and group accountability;
- Admission to the Oregon State Bar and/or Washington State Bar within 6 months of start.
Compensation and Benefits:
Starting salary is $48,000, with annual increases provided. Benefits include full platinum level medical, dental and vision coverage, 403(b) retirement program with an employer match, one week of paid sick leave and four weeks of paid vacation per year.
How to apply:
Applications should be submitted electronically to: Maura Fahey, maura[at]crag.org. Please include “LEGAL FELLOW APPLICATION” in the subject line of the email. Include a cover letter, resume, law school transcript or list of completed course work, short writing sample (8 pages maximum), and three references, as a single PDF.
Please do not contact with questions about the position. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We will begin reviewing applications March 15, 2021.